Sunday, September 16, 2007

Family - ya just can't pick them!

It's probably a good thing you can't pick your family. No - serious. Would you really stretch as a person if your family didn't drive you half insane?? My brother use to joke that he frosted hair for free. The amount of grey hair he can produce on someone is testimony to that statement. And isn't it nice that his children are taking over for him. Isn't that special?!

I'm originally from Indiana. When I was around 8 we moved to Michigan. I think I went kicking and screaming. I had vowed I would move back someday. It hasn't happened yet. I met my husband at Bridal I mean Bible College. Got my M.R.S. degree at a very young age and before I could say Bob's not my uncle I was pregnant - with twins. I remember we had just said we were going to wait a couple of years to figure out what we were going to do with um, LIFE when we got hit with that surprise. "You can lay your well laid plane up your well laid. . . " you get the picture. Now that we are coming out of the fog called survival we thought maybe just maybe we had this life thing down. Yeah, right!

Where was I?

Oh yeah, family. When we bought our first house last year my Grandma was all upset and said she guessed that means we weren't going to move back to Indiana now. Good Lord, was she waiting all this time?? Talk about hope springs eternal! I guess I should mention that my Grandma is a champion worrier. We're talking gold medal worrier and don't you know she taught every one of her grand daughters the art of worrying. My parents would constantly tell me growing up that I need to be more positive. I would hear them later wondering where did I come up with this stuff. They're kidding, right??

My grandparents are getting real close to 90. They still live in their home that I can remember my whole life. They called a few weekends ago wanting to know if my husband would come down and put a seal on their roof as my Grandpa should NOT be any where near a ladder. We don't mind helping but the gas prices are pretty spooky as it takes $100 just to fill the gas on hubby's truck. And I wonder why I never go anywhere. So we went down and my gracious husband did several of their 'while you're here' things. No biggie but I couldn't help but wonder where were my other cousins like the ones that live down there? I could tell they didn't want to ask us but they didn't have anyone that would do it.
So two days ago Grandpa called and said that it needs a second coat and Saturday will work out fine for them. Alrighty then. The funny thing is we didn't get there fast enough for my Grandfather so he called my other cousin, who is the golden grandchild and lives half an hour away, if he could come help out. He is married to the nicest gal in the world and they have 4 cute children. He brought them and my Aunt and Uncle too. It was so nice to see them and we were all soo happy that the other cousins with their evil children weren't there. We all had fun talking while the guys got done in no time flat all while Grandpa slept in the recliner. When they were done he got up and made them scrap up the spots off the deck and then went back to sleep. It's moments like this that I worry that my husband grumbles about fine print on wedding vows, but luckily for me he doesn't. At least not that he admits.

Grandma shoved some money in our hands to help with gas, thank God! And after stuffing us full of hot dogs and homemade soup or as we call homemade gas-maker, we were on our way home. Best rootin' tootin' soup there is as that's what you'll be doing. It's funny that when you're visiting the ones you love it makes your heart feel warm verses visiting the ones you can't stand that you count the minutes, nay the seconds to when you can bolt for the door.

0 comments: