Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Oh The Weather Outside Is Frightful...

Holy snow, batman! We have a ton of snow. Forget white Christmas - think buried alive. And we're getting dumped on right now. I heard 5-10 inches. Yuck. This was my van this morning and by this evening you could barely see the rest of it.


Thankfully, I haven't had to go anywhere. The boys have been buzzing on sugar and anticipation. It was so bad I forced them to do school work yesterday and today just to chill them out. Tomorrow should be ugly. I think all bets are off.

It's been an interesting few days. Hubs came home late last night to announce he's probably going to have to get unemployment as there aren't any jobs for the new year. I've tried not to freak out. Some moments I have it together and other moments I'm about ready to swan dive into a vat of chocolate.

Last Saturday we took the boys to the dollar store. We walked through the store and gave everyone suggestions and then we all walked back to the van. We sent one kid in at a time to do his shopping - alone. They loved it. They all said it was really weird going into a store all by themselves.

When they got home, one at a time they had to wrap up their gifts. Suddenly they looked at me with new admiration at all the wrapping I've done. I purposely picked out a coffee mug as those are a bear to wrap. I'm evil like that.

Yesterday, I made cookies with N. We talked about this and that and I could tell he loved it. Today I did another batch of cookies with M, and again talked about this and that and could tell he loved it too. They both showed it totally different.

M's conversation sparked a sit down discussion for all the boys. Misunderstanding on a few things that was causing some angst among the ranks. After it was all said and done everyone was okay. J and I got all comfy and watched two Christmas cartoons back to back.

After that was over, all four of us played video games. I am awesome after all. I grew up in the arcades. The four of us have been known to log in some serious hours in video land. We were playing Medal of Honor and dang they mopped the floor with me. I used to be good but I've had my butt handed to me. It's been truly sad but the boys all said I am the best Mom in the whole wide world.

We watched The Polar Express tonight. Love that movie. Just believe - oh how that can be applied to so many things. We're going to watch Elf tomorrow afternoon after another round of video blood bath and then after our Christmas Eve feast - The Grinch.

So I've been racking up the Mom points while dropping the blog ball. I'm taking the rest of the week off. Something tells me Wii will be a bit busy.

Merry Christmas!! May you spend some time with the Prince of Peace.

10 comments:

Julie said...

I totally suck at video games. *lol* ... Occasionally the kids will talk me into playing PS2 with them, but I think they just do it so they can laugh at how awful I am! *rofl*

Dianne said...

I will play the original Mario on Nintendo, but the graphics on the new stuff make me motion sick!. I was so mean to my kids. Made them play Pong with me. They could not believe it and thought it was a waste of time. Interesting comment! Oh, and I guess it would just be mean to say that it's almost 70 here, huh?

Anonymous said...

I do not envy you all the snow. I do NOT like winter at all. Sounds like things are calming down a bit for you. Merry Christmas and hurry back. Margie

Fuschia said...

Snow? SNOW?! We had a hard freeze before Halloween, and now? The day before Christmas? 75 DEGREES!! Yes, I am shouting!!! I'm a bit miffed to say the least.

Have a wonderful Christmas my friend :)

Leigh said...

I'll be praying about the work situation. We've been there done that and God proved faithful to His Word every time by truly supplying all our needs according to His riches in glory.

Merry Christmas!

Love ya,
Leigh

jubilee said...

I don't even TRY to compete with my sons and the game system. I used to play a mean game of Donkey Kong and Ms. PacMan on the Coleco we had as a kid. Now? Fahgedaboudit.

I pray that God will take care of the work situation. I know what it's like to live on unemployment. Talk about humbling. God is still Good.

Anna K. said...

Hubby loves that I'll break out and play a game with him or play on the Wii with he and the Bubs. He brags on me to his buddies that I'm not a gamer hater!

You go right ahead and drop that bloggy ball and hang with your boys! Sounds like it was and is much needed for you and your guys. Have fun!

Praying for the job situation.

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope you had a merry Christmas! wishing you a happy New Year!

Anna Lefler said...

Congrats on the major mom points and I love your snow photo!

Happy New Year!

:^) Anna

Kaye Butler said...

OMG we drive the same van, just in a different color.

I however did not rack up the Mom points this week. She tricked me. Okay, not really. I was on call with the funeral home. Our answering service number and mom's number are VERY SIMILAR. So I answered. She says...Kaye, I'm coming to your house for Christmas. And I want to buy presents for those kids that live with you.
(What????)
I said..."Not Necessary" and hung up. Haven't seen her yet.