Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What Would You Call It?

How shall I describe it? Remember in the Little Mermaid where she's looking at the fork? She's filled with wonder and awe as she tries to figure out what it is only to be told "It's a dingle-hopper". Warm happy feelings flutter around. I guess you could say it was a good day.

Yeah, well today wasn't one of those days around here.

It started off late Sunday night when we noticed that the blower to the furnace wasn't shutting off. It would heat up the place and the heat would shut off but the blower wouldn't. After a while you noticed cold air was being blown. Checked the temp and it was holding but it didn't feel great having cold air blowing.

Hubs had to shut off the furnace. We tried it again, still won't shut off. So Hubs plugs in the electric heater for the boys in their room and told me to dress warmly. If you see me wearing a ski mask in my own home, please don't point and laugh. At least not to my face. With my family you never know what that might trigger.

So Monday rolls around. No Hubs to turn on the furnace and no clue how to turn it back on. I informed the spawnage to dress warmly. We were all working away on school work when we heard a nice loud bang. I looked at the boys and said, "And that would be the ceiling that just bit the dust."

Sure enough, mess-o-rama. Insult to injury was a truck load of old walnuts from the squirrels. If you will recall here and here that we hate squirrels now. Hubs got home and got to working on it only to discover that he really should just tear down the whole ceiling. Not only did he claim the person who framed it a total moron but cursed all squirrels to eternal hell fire as more walnuts rained down on him.

He got the mess all cleaned up but could only tarp the ceiling as we're suppose to get more rain and he has yet to get up on the roof to fix the leak. Can't fix a roof when it's been raining buckets and on the few times it hasn't been we've had something else going on.

And the furnace still isn't on. I'm thinking of super-gluing the ski mask on. The only thing stopping me is that summer will eventually come again and I'm pretty sure I'm already on a 'someone to watch' list so why add fuel to that fire?

I'm chilled and can't seem to warm up so I am heading off to bed. I hope Hubs got the blankets thawed out. Sheesh! It's only October. I wonder if I can convince him to move further south?

7 comments:

Dianne said...

We would love to have u here in Arkansas. At 7am it is 61 degrees. We slept with the windows up. Come on down. We even farm here.

grandmamargie said...

Come on down. But it's been raining buckets here too. Our bedroom and one of our bathrooms are leaking too. I know the pain. But at least it is supposed to be in the 80's today.

Kerri said...

We SO need to switch places. Since Doug started the wood furnace I've been hot al the time. Hot and cranky. I HATE being hot. So I'm opening windows and sitting in front of fans because once it gets warm in here it just doesn't cool off. The blower shuts off, but since there's always fire in the wood burner it's always producing heat, which comes into the house and just rises to the living areas. I got to wear long sleeves for about 4 days before the furnace came on. Now I'm back to shorts and tank tops. Ug. SEE YA TONIGHT!

rthling said...

Yes, hubs said something this weekend about turning on the heat. I gave him the glare of death and told him that if he dared, I'd slipper slap him. He did't know what that meant, though.

Scrappy Girl said...

Yikes...that IS a bad day...hope today is better.

Anna K. said...

Moving further South? Why, yes, that's a wonderful idea! No ski mask required....

jubilee said...

Hmmm . . . ski masks. I may have to utilize one of those. It's cold here too.