Thursday, August 19, 2010

Reasons I Can't Explain

It is with sadness that my brain is refusing to cooperate. Much like the clock that is driving me a bit on the batty side.

I've tried writing like 3 different posts but just can't seem to bring it together. My brain doesn't want to play nice and focus enough to write the blog but nor does it want to settle down and go to sleep.

To further the sadness that is, the clock is needing new batteries in the worst way. Right now it sounds like it is being slowly strangled to death. V-e-r-y slowly. Pitiful. With each passing of the hour, it is starting to sound like some sort of clock death rattle which this late at night is just a bit creepy. Also makes it hard to concentrate.

I would just take it down and do it myself but it's too high up on the wall and I can't reach it. This means I would need to heft out the ladder to git r done.

We all know that ain't gonna happen.

I thought about taking a broom to knock it off the wall but thought that would sort of defeat the purpose, especially if the clock crashed to the floor into a bunch of pieces. Whoopsies.

What could be so sad you ask? The clock sort of represents a first. It was the first thing WE bought when we became a we instead of just a me and a him. With it being close to our anniversary, I'm not sure Hubby would take it too kindly if I knocked it off the wall only to have it smashed to bits. After 16 years of marriage, I'm pretty sure he won't buy that I was practicing my golf swing. Especially since I don't golf. Or swing much of anything.

But much like a marriage, it needs new batteries or the thing runs a bit slow and sounds funny. It doesn't have the crisp chime to signal the passing of the time. Granted, lately it was saying, hey doofus you wasted another hour playing facebook games, get with the program. Suddenly the broom is sounding better. Make it an offer it can't refuse.

When I was younger I thought time stood still. Now I feel like that bad boy has wheels on his feet and is zipping along.

I promise I won't break out into Sunrise, Sunset.

But it is just sad. I was working on my list of things to get rid of when the clock gave off it's impression of a strangled duck. I wasn't sure if it died or farted. I looked down at my list and back up at the clock and for a moment it almost found itself on the buh-bye list. While that list is getting longer every day, the first clock is not on it. It did remind me to call my mom - more sadness - to let her know for all that is holy come get their crap or I'm selling it all for a nickel. I think I may be making some progress on that point.

Maybe sad isn't the right word. Ever have that experience where you are so into something but one day you just ask why? and then want to get rid of all evidence of it? Sort of how we all felt about the 80s once the 90s was here. Or is that just me?

But all this talk of clocks and things to get rid of caused me to realize that we have a grandfather clock that my mom bought in a garage sale that was broken. She bought a broken clock on purpose. I'm sure there was some reason for it at the time but no one can remember or we don't care, I'm not sure which. I'm now worried our status as redneck is almost complete. We have this clock that can't keep time. Um, why?

I told Hubby I want to purge this junk like never before. He looked at me with such love and adoration that it was almost a bit embarrassing. I think I just found some sort of battery. Who knew?

5 comments:

Dianne said...

Even a broke clock is right twice a day

Julie said...

I don't think I could go through my house and make a list of things to ditch... Makes me sad just thinking about it. :(

http://scrapgrrl.com

Joanna said...

Dianne - but it takes up space.

Julie - it's not as bad as it sounds. We have so much of my parent's stuff that the thought of moving all that junk is enough to make me want to get rid of it.

Dianne said...

so do ur kids and hubby LOL

rthling said...

LOL@ Dianne.
Even if her name is spelled funky.