Friday, February 11, 2011

Long Day Of Epic Fail

I'm not sure at what moment it dawned on me that there really isn't a good time for life to have a hissy fit. You always end up muttering not now. Okay, if not now, then when? Because I'm betting money there never is a good time.

The day started off with a clogged toilet. Not just any toilet - the dreaded upstairs toilet. When this house was built, indoor plumbing didn't exist so we have a tiny little bathroom. This bathroom has always grossed me out so I avoid it and only use it for emergencies like in the middle of the night so I don't have to look at it. Ever.

So there I was with a trembling hand, wielding a nasty plunger. There is no waiting till Hubby poo gets home. There should be a law about a ratio of people vs. toilets. The more people you have, the more toilets are needed. Going down to one is just not an option. Got that done in like 20 seconds flat. It was not my first turd wrangle.

I just grossed myself out. That may be a first.

Then the next wrinkle in the day came with the realization that it has been super cold here. Wednesday I could not get warm enough. I was layered and was wrapped in blankets. That was all good until I had to get up. It's been c-c-cold!! I've been avoiding the laundry for days. Jared is holding his last pair of jeans hostage for emergency and since we just went grocery shopping, I may be able to hold out for another day or seven.

Probably not.

But I did check the washer before going to all the hassle of pretending to do laundry. I had to run hot water in the bathroom before trying to turn on the washer. It worked but I still put off doing a load. Maybe that was when my good house keeping karma decided to attack.

I was cooking dinner and was just minutes away from putting a casserole into the oven when sparks, flames, and me screaming was to be had. Turns out the heating element in the oven went ker-blewy. Literally.

Dinner and a show, except no dinner.

Oven was dead. Would not heat up. We had my folks' stove in our garage. There was nothing wrong with it other than just sitting in a garage for the past 5 years. Hubs tried to clean it up in the garage but the hot water quickly froze over. So he dragged it into the kitchen and totally cleaned the thing up and switch-o-change-o. Hauled the broken stove out onto the porch, helped me totally clean the kitchen, and then I was able to finish dinner well over an hour later. I could tell the guys were starving because I'm not sure how much even touched their plate before it was gone.

Guess it was a good thing we weren't able to sell the stove during the garage sale. It was also a good thing Hubby was able to get to it and it wasn't buried under stuff. It was also great that we aren't having to buy a new one. Saving all my pennies for a van. Hopefully.

But I think I better do laundry before I anger anything else.

3 comments:

Kerri said...

Yikes! I guess it IS a good thing you didn't sell the oven! My word, girl. Ain't life grand? If it's not one thing it's another....
"This ain't my first turd wrangle." I will remember that FOREVER!!! LOL!
Glad it's way too early for coffee!
Love ya

Debbie said...

Some days just go downhill immediately!
I hope you are having a great Valentine's Day!

Joanna said...

Kerri - I'm sure there are many things I have said that you won't forget. May it cause you to giggle when you need it. :)

Thanks Debbie! Hope yours was a great day too.