Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Crazy Turn Of Events

So much rattling through my heart and my head lately.

It has been a crazy few days in the world. We were doing our family bible study Sunday and it was setting the stage of angst on Satan's part to a royal smack down that has rattled through the ages. Seems like it has been amped up a bit these last few days.

I went from watching the royal wedding to tornado destruction. The guys asked why did I give a flying fig about the royal wedding and I said it's a sense of history in a way as well as hope. Who doesn't want to behold hope? To feel it invigorate the soul and to encourage one to keep pressing on?

I'm not sure how it came up but since I have spent way too much quality time with the remote, I said watching the tornado destruction reminded me of spiritual devastation. Things you were use to being there are now gone, people you relied on are now gone, something you planted and worked on is now twisted and has a refrigerator in it all while wrapped around a car.

Nothing is the same. And everywhere you looked, nothing was in it's right place.

I watched as people picked through the rubble looking for something familiar and had that look of where do I go now?

Spiritual devastation can have the same affect. You feel lost, lonely, and you try to come to grips why your house is gone and other's are standing fine. But there is also seeing that your family is still intact while someone else's family is torn apart. Things that kept you propped up and supported are now gone and you find yourself standing there not too sure you can stay upright for much longer.

Then you have to dig through the rubble to try and rebuild. The broken pieces cut deep into you and no matter how much you try, all the pieces will not fit back together. Darn that HumptyDumpty for not going back in his shell!

I think the hardest part is when it shakes your faith, your belief system. I've heard people call it a crisis of faith. Nothing makes sense, everything collapsed, and you try hard to believe. Some days it's all you can do just to breathe.

And just like satan, he'll send someone along to give you the pat answer, the cutting remark that makes you wonder about God's character. It can range from anything to did God really say? to where's your God now?

I can't remember if I blogged about this or not, forgive me if this is a repeat, but we were watching a Drive Thru History DVD a while back. It was talking about how Rome was expanding and basically devouring civilizations and cultures and turning it into Rome. I was hit with the devastation and destruction and was weighed down until the guy pointed out that even though it looks like it was meant for evil, God was able to use it for good because all roads went to Rome and it brought one language. All of this was set in place right before Jesus came on the scene and His message went like wild fire through the whole area.

It was that reminder that has brought me comfort that God is on the throne!

Nothing but gloom and doom and I've walked out the destruction and chaos but I can still say there is hope. No, it is not fun to go through it. It hurts and it is hell. But you can't see things until you are on the other side of it.

I hold onto the belief that God is not the initiator of the pain but I do believe He will use it. We are in a spiritual war and He's not surprised by all of this but He can use it to bring out some good. I have to chuckle - Jesus was a carpenter. Carpenter's will build off from the good. Sometimes things need to be completely torn down but He'll take what is there and work with it.

Whatever weather of life you are going through - be it sunny skies or it's dark and gray - take comfort that God is on the Throne. While I've wanted Him to change my circumstances and confused why He hasn't, I do realize that we need the rain storms to help things grow. The beauty of the flower may only last for a week but it is a reminder that a new season is here with another one waiting just around the corner. Before you know it, things are better, the sun is shining and there is peace for a little while.

"Peace I leave with you; My [own] peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.]" John 14:27

2 comments:

Kerri said...

One of my dear friends from college lives in Tuscaloosa. She and her son are okay, but the devastation is horrific, to be sure.

GREAT post...great analogy of spiritual destruction.
Oh, and I LOVE the new background.

jubilee said...

Needed to be reminded of this today. Thank you.