Saturday, June 11, 2011

I Am Surviving

While I'm sure you are wondering what could I be surviving and believe me that is one LONG list, I will just focus on the one issue.

If the end of the world includes a power outage, I will be screwed.

I don't even remember what day it was or even what day it is now, but we had a high wind storm and knocked our power clean out. That was like about midnight. It was a long and miserable night because I only dozed and didn't really get any sleep. I was borderline on tears as I sat in bed, tossing, turning, and just sweating.

Apparently, I am not made of stellar stuff. And while this shocks you, I can not deny that I was a total pansy about the whole ordeal of not having air moving.

Our ancient house has no screens and almost all the windows can not be opened. I rely on ceiling fans and 3 sad little window units to keep my brain from medium broil to slightly damp limp noodle. So no fans, no air conditioning, no sleep. When Hubs flopped over on his back and started to snore I got up and tried to sleep on the couch.

Sleep did not happen.

About 6:50-ish 2 of the boys came down stairs because they couldn't handle it either. We sat for about 10 minutes bemoaning the lack of electricity. Right about 7 am, I heard a wonderful noise called the frig kicking in and the ceiling fan was starting to move.

Oh happy day!

I was lifting up arms in thanksgiving. At least I would of if I wasn't so tired.

I think I stumbled back up to bed and passed out for a few hours. I'm not really sure what else I did that day it was so uneventful.

Then Friday I had to run to the health food store as I have found some supplements that have helped with the psycho aunt flo issues I have. I was almost out and Hubs had tried to get me some earlier in the week as he was on a job that was near there but they were out. So I dragged the boys out with me and left Hubs alone to study for his certification test. Ran the errand and then got to see my cousin. I haven't seen my cousin in a few years. She's the one I used to scrapbook with and her place was neutral Switzerland on that fateful Thanksgiving where my dad busted up Jared's tooth. I know, riveting stuff here.

Anyhoo, got to see her and had a good time and promises of future scrapbooking events were made. Ended up there a lot longer than what I planned and we had to dash home just in time as Hubs was finishing up dinner.

I love it when a plan comes together.

While I didn't plan that, I'll go with it.

My cousin was telling me that they read about someone being in their foreclosed home for 5 years. I said I have no idea the who, what, why, or how come of this situation but I'm not going to argue about it. Unless there are more bats. Then I will be really tempted to go off about it.

I did noticed Hubs packed up a few more things. Sneaky fellow. But at the same time we need to just purge a lot of this junk. Got an email from my mom asking if I wanted to do relish and I was more than happy to tell her NO! I did mention a few times that we are going through things on what to get rid of and she hasn't responded. I don't know how else to explain to her we aren't carting her old used junk all over tim-buck-two. Sounds like she's doing backstrokes in the pool of denial again. My cousin did say that my mom is impossible to talk with and once I stopped laughing hysterically, I agreed.

And just because I feel like sharing this, the boys and I tried a new Rolo McFlurry. I had a coupon buy 1 get 1 free. If you love caramel than you will love it. I thought it was really rich and couldn't finish it. Michael happily finished it for me. Nicholas and Jared both said it was all they could do to finish theirs. And that is saying something.

4 comments:

rthling said...

If you are a reader, I recommend Terri Blackstock's Last Light series, for your end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it-because-there's-no-power enjoyment.

Joanna said...

I think I'll pass. Terri Blackstock's stuff is hit or miss with me. I like a couple of her books and a couple I tossed across the room. :}

Kerri said...

Mmmmmmm....I got those coupons too. Methinks I might need to try one!

Oh, and the Point of Light series is awesome, but it would freak you right out. We're talking Little House on the Prairie here...nothing remotely electrical works...not even batteries. Yikes.

Joanna said...

Kerri - it was rich! And I'll pass on the book series. I might faint. ;)