Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Some Title That Is Supposed To Make Sense

Because really there is only so many ways I can say AAAHHHH!

I'm a bit cheesed off at myself. All day I had a blog post rolling around in my head. Between the mountain of laundry and epic piles of cookie sheets to clean....I haven't been able to make it too the computer.

I've finally made it to the computer. I am totally ignoring the baskets of CLEAN clothes that now need to be folded. The guys are all in bed. I have the place to myself and now? Nothing. Can't think of a single thing. Happens every time.

I would like the record to show that I did have a functioning brain at one point in time....but then I had children and they've managed to suck it right out of me. Now I find myself standing in a corner, maybe even drooling a bit, wondering what the heck it was I was looking for.

Good times.

But we are enjoying our break. We did survive the family get together. Was glad to see some people. My Mom pulled a fast one - she had my niece with them. Thankfully nephew wasn't there as he had to work. Would have taken awkward to a whole new level.

Gotta love family.

I was slightly amused that Mom ended up sitting by herself knitting. Turns out I'm not the only family member who can't stomach all her talk that the world is coming to an end and we'll have to barter with toilet paper. Tell ya with conversation like that, it's a wonder why she isn't invited to more functions. Nothing can ruin a festive mood faster than my mom!

We went back to their apartment and no matter how nuts I think she is, the woman can decorate like nobodies business! She had their apartment decked out for the holidays. If only she would use her powers for good instead of evil. She could make magazine covers run for their money! I'm trying hard not to be envious of her talents because I did not get that gene.

I've learned from past experience not to ask her to help me decorate because for whatever reason it turns out badly. I think it might be some subliminal message or something. Anything she's done for me is not her best and she thinks she knows what I want or tells me what I want.

Yeah, no.

Was happy no fur was flying and also relieved the whole thing is done and over. Was supposed to meet with some friends but they got hit with the flu. We decided to pass. Hopefully we'll see them soon. Otherwise I'm going to have to go to the store and get more stuff as I was supposed to bring a couple desserts which are all now totally polished off. *burp*

There is some strategy. Make something that the guys all pound on first so I get first crack at something I like. Evil? Maybe. But ask me if I care.

Growing up my mom made an Oreo peppermint dessert this time of year because for some odd reason it's the only time you can get peppermint ice cream. And this dessert is something that I deeply love.

Bag of Oreo's smashed to bits, little butter to make a crust
Container of Peppermint Ice Cream
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
Cool Whip

Deeeeeeppply love.

Something about chocolate and peppermint that is just so right.

Take a bag of Oreo's, pretend they are someone you don't like and beat the stuffing out of it. Reserve 1/4- 1/3 cup of crumbs for topping. Mix crushed Oreo with some melted butter (2-4 Tablespoons I think) spread into a greased pan.

(A 13x9 seems to be a bit too big but an 8x8 is too small. Sadly for you I can't remember the size of the pan nor do I have the ambition to get up and go look. You're welcome.)


Spread peppermint ice cream over Oreo crust. Spread chocolate fudge frosting over ice cream. (I should warn you "spreading" frosting over cold ice cream is rather tricky. Plus you have to be fast about it so the ice cream doesn't melt.)

Top with Cool Whip and then sprinkle reserved crumbs over top and then shove into freezer for a couple hours.

You can share it with others or totally hog it to yourself. My plan almost worked but I was busted and had to share with everyone. Sigh

I was also told I couldn't get 6 peppermint ice creams either when we go grocery shopping. Something about not enough freezer space for that and normal food. And I was voted down for skipping normal food.

Whatever.

4 comments:

jubilee said...

Sounds Yum! I have a family thing to go to, maybe I can scrap what I was going to bring and do this instead, because: EASY! and YUMMY!

Carrie said...

I'm on vacation next week. This totally has me thinking about attempting some sort of kitcheny stuff.

I'll keep you posted.

Joanna said...

I forgot to add the cool whip should be thawed - spreads better and it'll firm back up when it chills for a few hours.

Maggie S. said...

That first paragraph or two? SO, me. I think..."Ha ha, That'll get a laugh," totally forget it. The alternative is to carry a pen and paper everywhere. Then, I would feel, well and truly, senile.