Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Mind And The Heart

My mind can't seem to wrap its way around what happened Friday. And my heart is just broken for everyone involved. Friday Facebook started to explode with what was going on, so I turned on TV and then spent the rest of the afternoon glued to the thing. The pictures got me the most and I made a little effort to keep the tears at bay. But the next day when I saw the list of the kids and their ages........I bawled my head off.

So many people are blogging about it all and have said it way better than I could ever hope to do so, but just the shock of it all doesn't want to go away. I saw a quote that one of the kids said, "Christmas is canceled." and my heart broke all over again.

I have experienced tragedy and had my world turned upside down all around the holidays. I know people who have gone through horrific stuff all around dashing through the snow, peace on earth, and Christmas plays all while their hearts were beyond broken. I remember, at the time, thinking is nothing sacred? Why does bad stuff always happen around the time we are celebrating joy and peace causing us to wonder how will we ever experience those things again?

I think as time is winding down, more evil will show up. I also think tremendous good will as well. You hear stories of how the teachers saved lives and the first responders put an end to the shooters rampage saving even more lives. 

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that evil tries to rise up during Christmas time. After all, Christmas is a reminder to all the forces of evil that their territory was invaded by a tiny baby and whipped the snot out of them and took away the keys to hell and death! And I'm sure that the devil's everlasting shame will be how he lost by something so innocent as a child. Why else does it prey after the innocent - the children?

Everyone is all upset and freaking out over guns and stronger gun control. Am I the only one that noticed that the guy tried to buy a rifle and couldn't? The current law worked - it stopped him from buying a rifle. However, it didn't stop him from getting one anyway. Gun control isn't the answer. Mental health issues needs to be addressed before another gun law is passed.

Psych meds are extremely expensive and a lot of insurance companies don't even cover all of it. We live in a fallen world with messed up people who need help. While all of us fall under that category, there are people who need serious help.  I know someone who is horrendously depressed but won't get medical help because it's too expensive. It makes me sad to see this person so different from the fun loving person I remember growing up.

I've had a handful of people tell me I need therapy, although I've also had more people tell me I am incredibly strong and those people don't know their butt from a hole in the ground.

(That saying also makes me crack up laughing because, apparently, I am still 12.)

I don't know if I needed therapy or not - my blog has been a picture of one person's struggle to trudge on. But I never felt that I was too far gone or that my happy meal was several fries short. Life was just a huge struggle. Still is, but I've got better coping skills now. That and getting away from fake people who can't tell the truth if their lives depended on it certainly helped.

For me, I had Jesus to help me pick up what pieces I had left and moved on. It worked for me, but I sometimes wonder about what do people do when that doesn't work for them? What exactly IS mental health and how do you know if you're healthy or nuttier than a fruitcake? And what is a person supposed to do if they can't afford to get any help? I think that is the bigger issue.

I think as Christians it's time to arm ourselves spiritually, mentally, and physically, because evil is alive and well and it's not just going to go away on its own.

"Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore, put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything , to stand..." Eph. 6:11-13

1 comments:

Carolyn Fallon said...

Hello! I had a question for you about possibly collaborating on something and was hoping you could email me back to discuss? Thanks so much!

- Carolyn