Thursday, August 1, 2013

T-T-Times Are Ch-changing!

Fresh new month with a now working dishwasher and in that few seconds of peace and calm, I suddenly realized I haven't finished my book order, nor finished grading papers to give the guys actually grades. Crap! And goodbye peace and calm because this tends to push me into this panic state of I'm not ready for school to start!!

And then I get mad because I feel like this thought just totally hijacked my August and it's not even a full day old. Which then makes me sort of curse school and all it's scheduling and stuff. This naturally causes me to question why do I even bother to homeschool. And we haven't even started the year and I'm freaking out.....again.

So basically since this is same thing, different year - I'm right on schedule in an odd sort of way.

However, this time I feel a slight glimmer of hope, because I think I'm having a serious moment. I was so happy about this place finally not needing someone to come work on it that I decided not to flog myself for slipping on a few things. Besides, we've been busier than normal and I think I reached this thing called I DON'T FREAKING CARE!!!

I know! I think I even scared the chicken part of myself.

There has been tons of stuff going on and if I were to list some of the great things, you know I'll get all long winded and ramble on and on and I'm trying hard to work on that. Probably because my lil Sissy is driving me up the freaking wall with giving me blow by blow details of her life. I think I sort of startled her when I interrupted one of her rants by saying, "And I gave you the impression that I care, how?"

 Nice to see I can still be a bit of a pill.

She's coming down this weekend so it's looking like a crazy few days are on deck. Plus, I had the brilliant idea of getting one of those cheapo outdoor fun pack from stuffmart. Fred took my brilliance and trumped it by 6 as he got some plastic pipes and cemented them in a couple of old ice cream buckets so the poles can slide right in and the net is always stable and steady.

All together - dang, he's good!

But we have been having a blast doing badminton. Once we finally got the hang of it, we've had hours and days of fun. So much fun that some of us have been really stiff and sore and was a little happy that it rained and we couldn't go outside to play for a few days.

Stop pointing fingers - yes, I was one of them.
And no Fred wasn't the other one - jerk.
I keep waiting for some sign of aging to appear on him and other than he's still carrying a few pounds of Christmas cookies that he used to burn off by now, that's it.

But we have discovered none of us are competitive enough to dive for the birdie to get the point. We don't even keep score. I've been told we aren't normal. Eh, we're too busy having fun to noticed. Either that or I'm still too busy with some nasty skeeter bites to pay any attention.

Although, I wish the skeeters would eat the neighborhood delinquents. We've had for the last couple months of getting punked by some neighborhood kids. We've had firecrackers tossed in our mailbox, our recycle bin dumped over, and last night they banged on our door at 3 a.m.

Fred refuses to let me have the paintball gun. 1) it's out of air, and 2) we all know since I'm involved, chances of this going epically wrong are at a high probable. He wouldn't even let me pull it out to threaten the little jerks.

I did get a little bit of revenge. Last time Sissy was down, she wanted Taco Bell so we made a quick run to the boarder and came back. She had backed into the driveway and we were sitting there talking as the sun went down and the pack of hooligans came waddling out. I'm not sure what the deal was but the dude that tossed the firecracker in our mailbox started to head towards us. It was dark enough that they didn't see us. Sissy had heard my angst about this group so when the dude lumbered towards the house, she turned on her lights and hit the horn! It was epic! Dude stopped dead in his tracks and then took off running as the rest of their crew scattered. We hadn't heard anything from them since until last night. I can't wait for their school to start so they'll leave us alone. 

However, this is sort of a bittersweet moment of being the twins' senior year. Hard to believe, but there were many years I thought it couldn't get here fast enough. I want to be done ordering books and grading papers. I want to be free to pursue some other things. It's been extremely busy getting teenagers all together. A weird balance of life experiences and book knowledge. Times of rubber meeting the road and stuff they know and having to walk it out. Lots of prayers, lots of unknowns, but a sense of newness just around the corner.

I'm reading a book called Bittersweet by Shauna Niequest. Her comment caught me a bit off guard. "Sweet is nice enough, but bittersweet is beautiful, nuanced, full of depth and complexity. Bittersweet is courageous, gutsy, earthy."

I like that!

For some reason that struck a cord with me. There are days I feel like I'll never be fully rid of bitterness so to see it in a different perspective was thought provoking and a little bit inspiring. Off to go read some more! I have been burning through books, so I am in my happy place.

0 comments: