Wednesday, January 8, 2014

And They Called This A Blizzard

I guess around these parts it was considered a blizzard but honestly, it only ranked as a serious snow storm by our standards. And what fun! We had my dad snowed in with us for a few days. Honestly, it went fine which only reinforces my belief that it's my mother that causes all the angst.

He was down for the weekend as he needed a place to stay as he was selling BBQ sauce. J was more than happy to tag along. Except the bad weather drove people away and it was an epic flop as far as sales goes. They wrapped it up just in time for the snow to come charging in and Dad was seriously thinking about heading out.

I think he was concerned about us not having enough stuff. I told him I always have extra stuff as we take our food seriously. Good thing too, because he was here for 5 days. He really loved my Cheeseburger Soup so I gave him the recipe and as soon as he got home, he made it. I guess he wasn't kidding when he said it was really good. It's been Michael's favorite soup since he was little. Nicholas, who loves all things lasagna, says Lasagna Soup is the best. And Jared, who hates all vegetables says he hates all soups.

Does this explain the eye twitch a little?

But we watched movies and read books. Made him watch the Lone Ranger, which I felt didn't get just reviews. It was really good. Totally not believable but I like a good story. I had just finish Baldacci's latest and Dad was rubbing it in my Mom's nose that he was reading it. She had asked to borrow it last time but I hadn't read it yet. Needless to say, she was happy we sent Dad home with a few books for her to read. Because not only do we take food seriously, we also take books seriously.

The weather better cooperate too, because the book sale is Friday and I really don't want to go alone. I'm not sure if the gals are coming down yet as last I heard there was talk of them not coming. That would be a bummer. And after venturing out today, I think I have myself mostly convinced never to leave the house, like, ever again.

Dad left before noon and it took him four hours to get back. It normally only takes an hour and half to two hours depending on who's driving. We left shortly after lunch to go grocery shopping. And that's where the fun ended. I was hoping the 2 degree temp would keep people off the streets. Seems that I was wrong. Someone needs to teach these people how to drive in the snow because it wasn't people going super fast that was the problem, rather the people that would go super slow, come to a complete stop and then spin out at the light causing traffic jams.

Lovely.

As if going out to stuffmart isn't a pain enough as it is, let's toss in idiots on the road to make it exciting.

There is a stuffmart not too far away from where we live, but the layout is the most ridiculous setup I have every seen in my life. I'm not OCD but even I can see there is no reason to the place and they always have so much stuff in the lanes that you can barely get your cart through. No thanks! So I go to one that is a lot farther away. I seriously should have reconsidered that thought today. Actually, I should have waited a few more days because it's going to warm up and make driving conditions better. I was just out of a few essentials but I could have made it.

Wish I wouldn't second guess myself so much. I'm not nearly as wrong as what I think I am.

We snagged a parking spot and went to enter stuffmart but the temps were so cold that they couldn't open a set of doors. The doors I happened to pick to park near. So we had to trek it the other side, which means we were going to have to mush carts all the way back to the other side through the snow.

We got most of the stuff on the list. The bread aisle was like nothing I have ever seen before because it was picked clean! But I didn't need any bread as I always have an extra loaf double bagged and in the chest freezer. And the place wasn't as packed as it normally was, so I guess that wasn't too bad.

The bad part was after we mushed through the parking lot and was attempting to leave. A truck had spun out at the light causing a traffic jam. Bunch of guys hopped out to help push - none of them were wearing coats. Proving that most people are idiots. We even saw a few guys in shorts, sweatshirts, and hats and gloves. Dude - you forgot your pants! It was cold enough that even the gang-bangers had their pants pulled up to their waste.

I will say it was nice having an SUV because the roads were terrible! They don't handle snow very well here, so most of the roads had packed snow in spots and ice mounds in others with a lot of slop in between. It was a bumpy ride! But the hard part was how people were spinning out. No wonder they shut the whole city down for the last couple days. City slickers in a hurry on bad roads shouldn't be allowed out. I wasn't too sure we were going to make it back. Had a couple close calls trying to get around people who think if you just give it more gas, you'll get out of the hole.

Stupid people!!

But then again, I tossed caution to the wind all because we were out of eggs and a few other things. All those things could have been picked up much closer to home. So the question begs to be asked who the stupid person really was after all?

0 comments: