Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Hunt

House Hunting! A fun little game that will cause you to feel happiness, dread, anxiety, the need for chocolate, therapy, and the realization that you might need marital counseling. To say the last few weeks have been a whirlwind would be an understatement. Cuh-razy! It seems that everyone and their brother is out house hunting right now.

We had a lovely list only to have half the list disappear as there were already offers on the table. One of the first houses we looked at had an offer right after we viewed it. It was too small for us, but it was a bit weird to see things go that fast. That's sort of been depressing. We've been searching the web, have things marked, send it to our realtor only to get an email back that it sold already.

Well, okay then.

We had two contenders which we could make work. Nothing has screamed this is the one! At least not in our price range. Both are split levels. I don't like split levels. I'm living in a split level currently because I am allergic to being homeless. While I know I can make it work - I'm still not thrilled. But if I were to take a moment and be honest, I don't think I would be thrilled with anything short of an HGTV miracle. I think my issues are showing again. That and I'm spending too much time on Pinterest drooling over huge kitchens that would make Martha Stewart say, "Now that's a nice a kitchen!" And my budget won't met Martha half way.

It's moments like this I'm glad we got rid of cable. No remodel shows for me! Because one of the houses we had marked on our list to look at was in desperate need of an update. It also smelled like Granny had recently passed away, but I'm trying not to be creeped out by it. I've been told paint and new carpet will get rid of the smell and to stop being a baby about it.

Ahem!

It has a lot of potential, but all I saw was a ton of work. We were later talking about it and I surprised myself when I blurted out I'm just not mentally up for a massive home overhaul. I feel like I'm stretched thin. I'm stressed out about work because they don't have enough people to handle the store, so we are running on skeleton crews. The store is a mess, customers are mad, and the workers are all frazzled. The thought of tackling anything right now makes me want to crawl into bed and not come out for at least a year.

The only bright spot in all of this is the two houses are on the other side of Indy hopefully away from all the ghetto and potholes that lead to China with a slight delay in hell. At least that was the case until yesterday morning three more homes popped up that have higher points than the other two we were considering.

Clearly the need for chocolate is screaming right now, but I'm back to being happy that there are some more options.

The marital issues have been interesting because we had a couple houses that we walked through only to have one say, "I love it!" while the other one is saying, "I hate it!" and the equal looks of horror have been comical. One house that Hubby was insisting we look at is only something he could pull. Think old, lonely, once upon a time grand dame with her paint chipping here and there with no means for a new do. You should have seen his instant look of love while my look screamed, "Run Forrest, Run!" I'll give the guy credit - tons of potential, but I'm fast to remember yesteryear of living through something you're trying to fix up with limited funds. N-O! Not only no, but hell no! I'm not sure he's forgiven me yet. The property taxes on this thing is just nuts, not to mention I got the vibe that there is potential of monumental expenses creeping under some of that peeling paint.

Jared had been totally against this house as it screams Allegan house all over again - only no where near as dumpy. Michael sided with his dad as they drooled over all the details of the house and Nicholas remained neutral, for once, and took the stance that ANYTHING is better than what we've lived in. Imagine the struggle J and I both had when we had to keep our facial muscles normal when we heard it's now pending thus taken off the market.

Oh darn.


So this leaves 2 split-levels. One built in the 60s and one built in the 80s. The 60s home is bigger but needs a new kitchen. The 2 full bathrooms are small. If we could do a new kitchen - it would be nice, but those bathrooms have been updated and will always be small. It has a lot of character - not a cookie cutter house. The neighborhood is non ghetto. The 80s house isn't too far from this one but it's smaller. But the kitchen is totally new. Small but all new appliances because down here people don't take their appliances I guess. 3 full bathrooms that are big, but the entrance way is horrible, Jared's room would be just a fuzz smaller than what he has now, and there is less square footage.

The hard thing is we have a really nice frig that has been sitting out in the garage that we can't wait to use again. I have an island that I'm sure my mom would pummel me if I got rid of and we could use these at the 60s house. It sort of bothers me to not use what I got. Not to mention the 80s house comes with new washer and dryer. My dryer is only 2 years old with my washer pushing 6 years. I think. I can't remember. So this leaves me circling around the whole bathroom thing. 3 big ones or 2 tiny ones? Ugh. Makes my head hurt.

And houses are going so fast, I'm sort of concern about waiting. But the bank is making us wait because it's just another day at the office for them while it's a complete nail biter for us. However, with these other homes just popping up, it seems it was a God timing thing that we are waiting. It's just brutal to watch stuff get snatched off the market before you can do anything about it. It's been bumpy, left us a bit grumpy especially since the furnace went out at this place and the rental company left us all weekend without heat. Yup. So ready to move.

As an extra bonus to all this stress, couple weeks ago we were out driving and I've found if I tell the guys NOT to hit a pothole, they will proceed to hit every flipping hole from here to the store and back. There was a known bad one and I said repeatedly don't hit it! Which he didn't but did hit the worse one hidden under a huge mud puddle. It was only a miracle that kept the tire from being ripped off - those new tires we just put on the car back before the snow flew. No, I'm not ticked off.....anymore. And I didn't rip the kid a new one but they should never be allowed to read the text messages I sent their dad after the whole ordeal. But now the service engine light is now on so yippy skippy on that. We've been too busy to get it into the shop and I'm trying not to sweat bullets about what it's going to cost.

My nerves - they aren't happy. Maybe it's a good thing I did get my tickets to go to the home school convention. I don't NEED to go, but I NEED the girl time away from life. That and I was informed they would show up and drag me along anyways, so I might as well make it easier on everyone and go willingly.

0 comments: