Monday, November 9, 2015

Mail, E.Mail

You've got questions? Well, I don't have answers!
So I've received a few emails saying how they can't get my blog posts anymore. Frankly, I find that surprising as I wasn't aware anyone could even get this via email. Clearly, my tech savvy skills are lacking. But I think I'm having issues on my settings, because I have no idea what I'm doing.

As if this should surprise anyone.

I think the last setting I did changed the whole universe. Not really, but that's how it feels. Not sure what to do. My blog traffic went through the roof last year and I couldn't figure out why. It's not like I've been out there blog hopping and trying to pull in traffic.

Sidenote: I need to find more blogs to read as most of the people on my sidebar list have stopped blogging or have hit a slump like me where life grabs them by the face and slams them into a wall. Thank goodness for the popular blogs as I would be lost without them. I need something to read. Unlike my blog posts that tend to be more like a mini-series or a short book with no plot.

Anyhoo, I had noticed this nachobot site that kept popping up every day and I came across another blogger who was furious with this site. She had the same thing happen: spike in blog traffic for no reason, some email from some dude who's name you can't pronounce saying he would like to add blog to his website and it would increase traffic. I'm not really sure how it works. I know you have to sign into his website which seems a bit shady. After reading this other blogger, it's sounds several shades shady. Apparently, it copies your blog WITHOUT PERMISSION, puts it on their site, slaps advertisements on it and banks the money off of your work. Not cool!

From what I've gathered the guy refuses to stop using your blog even after you ask him to stop. There were a few suggestions and one of them was to change up some settings. I did and traffic has come to a sad trickle. Granted, I've been a bad blogger for not putting out consistent stuff, but this brought it to a dead stop. I'm still getting a lot of traffic on the older blog posts, but nothing on the new stuff. Not sure if I should go back to original settings or what to do. I'm not really sure I want 30 people from Japan reading my posts. What if I say something really stupid and it's offensive in their culture? Possibly not but why take that chance? These are some of the random thoughts I have. Like why would anyone from Germany read this? I can only imagine how strange a lost in translation this would all sound. Then again, maybe I sound like I'm completely brilliant.....in another language.

I'm thinking no.

I'm still trying to figure out how to put the settings back without having some creepier run of with my blog posts and make some sweet pocket change while I do all of this for nothing. I'm now starting to reconsider Adsense. I had it briefly many moons ago, but took it down once it got hacked and ads for products that scare me starting showing up. We have products that can grow parts of the male anatomy and there are still diseases out there without a cure because WHY?!?

Another email I get a lot is why don't I have a Facebook page for my blog. Good question. 1) I'm sort of on the lazy side, so I haven't bothered to look into it. 2) I have people I'm forced to be friends with on Facebook and there is no way on God's green earth that I want them to read my blog.

Don't act like you don't KNOW what I'm talking about. Relatives are weird. You want to stay in touch with people and it's even better to know what's going on with them without ever having to talk to them thanks to Facebook. It's also mildly entertaining to see how they present themselves to the world when you know for a fact that they are full of it, and it takes superhuman strength not to comment liar, liar pants on fire on some of their posts.

The struggle is real.

I would like to tell you I'm going to get better at writing blog posts consistently but I have a feeling that would be a lie. Holiday season is gearing up, and I'm not really sure where the schedule stands at this moment. I got the book sale this week and I started a PMS Club with some of my former co-workers. That's going to make for a busy weekend!

0 comments: